Features and Flexibilities
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for admission. However, the minimum age for enrolment for Secondary Course (SSC) is 14 years completed on 31st August of the year of admission.
- For intermediate it is 15 years completed as on 31st August of the year of admission.
- Choice in Medium of Instruction: SSC course is offered in Telugu, Urdu, English, Hindi and Intermediate course in Telegu, Urdu, English and Hindi media.
- Choice of subjects: You can choose any subject combination from the Group lists of subjects offered as per the criteria given in the Scheme of Studies.
English subject in Group-A is mandatory for Intermediate course.
If you wish to use SSC certificate for higher studies, it is in your own interest that you keep in mind the requirements of the Board you wish to join after passing Secondary Course. For example, the Board of Intermediate Education requires specific subject combination for admission to the Junior Colleges affiliated to it i.e., one Indian Language, English, Mathematics, General Science and Social Studies. In such a case you are required to choose the subjects of study accordingly.
For joining in Intermediate (Science subject combination) of Telangana Open School also one should have studied the above subjects at SSC level.
- Additional Subjects: If you wish you can also select one additional subject (sixth) either at the time of admission or during the five years period with new registration.
- Combination of Academic and Vocational Courses: In order to make the course more meaningful, a number of Vocational subjects are also offered in combination with academic subjects at SSC/Intermediate level.
- Continuous Assessment: During your course of study, you can know your progress through Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs: Total 3 per subject). Submission of all TMAs in each subject is compulsory, otherwise, you may not be permitted for the Public Examination and/or your result may be declared as “INCOMPLETE“.
- Flexible Scheme of Examination: Public Examinations are held twice in a year. Nine examination chances are offered for a learner in five years. You have to appear for your first examination only after completion of the first academic year of your admission. Thereafter, you are permitted to appear in every half year public examination during you remaining four year registration period. Normally, public examinations in a year will be held in April/May and October/November. Learners admitted to Intermediate course must ensure that for the purpose of obtaining a certificate in Intermediate course, a two year gap is essential from the year of passing SSC examination. If a candidate seeking admission again with in the five years of his/her admission is deemed to be cancelled for both SSC and intermediate.
- Credit Accumulation: You can choose to appear in anyone or more subjects in any examination and earn credits which will be accumulated till all five subjects required for certification are successfully completed within the period of 5 years of registration.
- Transfer of Credit: You can avail the facility of Transfer of Credit (TOC) to a maximum of two subjects passed from other Boards of Secondary Education/ Board of Intermediate Education, recognized by COBSE, provided those subjects are also available in Open School scheme of studies. TOC is permitted as per the conditions given in section 2.4.
- Validity of Admission: Your admission is valid for five years from the date of Registration. For Public Examination at SSC/Intermediate level you may take nine or less than nine chances to successfully complete the course during this period.